Thursday, August 19, 2010

Applications and the Cloud: An Ideal Union

Network World published an article about the rise of SaaS implementation, based on a study by Gartner. The article states that “More than 95 percent of organizations expect to maintain or grow their use of software as a service (SaaS).” Clearly there are a lot of organizations discovering how to maximize the Cloud for their needs.

However, there are some skeptics who are very leery of implementing a SaaS solution.

The good news is that there are numerous benefits to using a hosted application or SaaS that just aren’t available with traditional software.

Automatic Updates

When using a hosted application, you don’t have to worry about updates that are standard with standalone software. I can’t tell you how many times I have logged onto my PC to see that another one of my programs has another update available. Even worse is when my operating system updates my computer, then tells me I have 15 minutes to restart or it will do it for me (I usually postpone it for an hour but I digress). A SaaS solution will automatically update itself at the host’s end, meaning you don’t have to waste time waiting for the program to upgrade itself.

Data Backup

One of the strongest attributes SaaS has in comparison to desktop based software is the fact that your data is continually backed up. If your computer crashes, or your laptop has to get sent off for repairs, you can still access all of your data because the SaaS operates over the internet. The mobility of SaaS is perfect for those who travel frequently. Updates made across the country will show up when you log on back at home.

The Bottom Line

Hosted applications have some incredible benefits. I’m not saying ditch all of your current programs for SaaS solutions, but at least consider SaaS the next time you find yourself window shopping in the software department.

No comments: